Monday, May 9, 2011

Southern "Cicada" Madness !!

"Cicada"

ci·ca·da/səˈkādə/


NounA large homopterous insect (family Cicadidae, suborder Homoptera) with long transparent wings, occurring chiefly in warm countries. The male cicada makes a loud shrill droning noise after dark by vibrating two membranes on its abdomen.




I know this post isn't Ham Radio material ...
But I was wondering if any of my fellow radio ops...
Have experienced the ...
"Sounds of the Cicada" 
Here is a picture I took of the ...
"Shell of the Cicada"
This is whats left after they ...
emerge out of the ground...
and hatch.
They typically stay underground
for 13 to 17 years
before they hatch
The picture above was taken...
from my front lawn.

The Cicadas are here.....
by the thousands this year
and 
they are very loud !!
I could hear them over my neighbors...
riding mower yesterday !!
It's a constant roar when ...
you walk outdoors.
Its really amazing...
 if you've never experienced the sound !!
No they don't bite or sting ?
But they are kinda scary looking !!
Check out the red eyes.

For more info on the "Cicada"
Click below


To hear the amazing sounds of the "Cicada"

Luckily ...
The Cicada are the most active...
and the loudest ..
during the hottest part of the day
instead of the middle of the night !!

Now if I could teach them
to call
"CQ"

73 de N4LA

No comments: