Monday, May 23, 2011

CQ DX ... A Nice Surprise From Iraq

YI9OBM / Trent
( This pic shows Trent's Tennadyne T-6 Log Antenna )

I had a nice surprise on Sunday morning ...
as I called CQ on 17 meter phone.
I was called by YI9OBM / Trent ...  in KirKuk Iraq !!
We had a nice 5 minute qso.
Even though propagation was poor.

Trent generates massive pile-ups worldwide ..
Because he is one of a select few, thats currently on the air
from this war torn location.

( Trent's operating position )

Below is part of an E-mail exchange between Trent and myself ...

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the chat the other day, 
it is good to hear the States.

I get about an hour at a time through the week...
just before/after dinner or maybe before bed, 
and some time on the weekends
 (if I don't pull some needed hours elsewhere).

I have half of a CHU, containerized housing unit, 
 my roomate is at another location (by design) 
but could return any day.

When I got here wx was bad, 
so I started assembly in the room 
and then finished on the roof 
 using a broken truck jack as a pedistal.

A telescopic mast was being discarded by an exiting Unit, 
I fixed the gearbox and cranked her up.

The Tennadyne is DC grounded (minimal static build) 
and the Alpha Delta Transitrap 
with two 6 foot ground rods 
has saved my system several times.

( 3rd pic ... Plywood Insulator )

In the third pic,
 check out the plywood insulator 
used to prevent the bare power wires 
from touching when the winds kick up....
My pain is QRN! 
This, and the rx of the 706 (no DSP) 
not being the best ... 
 results in multiple requests
 for the calling station's call sign. 

I'll listen for you....73,

Trent
.......................................................................
Trent is a member of 
US Army Signal Corps
......................................................................

YI9OBM / Trent
is 
"Radio-Active"

Thanks for your "Service" Trent.
May God protect you 
and all our service men & women
serving around the world.
73 de N4LA

No comments: