Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Hams Toy Box !!

My Antenna Toy Box = Fun ... Fun ... Fun !!!
Saturday I decided to get my Buddipole ready for hiking in the fall.
I wanted to optimize my portable set-up ... so I decided to add a 2nd radial
and also tune the radials for each individual band.

A must have for a serious Buddipole user is a good antenna analyzer.
This is a very important tool if you want to 
optimize the efficiency of any vertical antenna with elevated radials.

Here's the portable antenna test range
The picture above is my Buddipole Vertical
with 2 elevated radials on a 5 ft portable mast.

Another look at my 2 elevated radial set-up


Here is a picture of one of my guy lines for my
5 ft portable mast .. As you can see I use aluminum
tent stakes and a simple loop to hold everything in place.

S hooks secure the 5 ft portable mast at the top.
I use a home brew radial ring made of  light weight aluminum
( It was home brewed by my friend Guy / N7UN )

This picture shows my elevated radial supports..
They are simply 3 ft  tall driveway markers 
that I picked up at Lowes hardware.
( Another tip from my friend Guy / N7UN )

This is looking down on the elevated radial support.
As you can see the radials are wound 
on a Wire Line Winder also from Buddipole.
and connected to the support pole 
with a simple Velcro strap that's been taped on.

I like to use the Triple Ratio Switch Balun  (TRSB )
also from Buddipole to optimize my portable vertical.
It is fed with 25 ft of LMR 240 coax.

Here's a pic of my 20 meter set-up ...
using the new Buddipole Shorty coil.
Black is my 20 meter tap ... Blue is my 30 meter tap
As you can see I use two ...
 Counterpoise Wire Adapters to connect each radial.
I use a Mini Banana Plug Lead to connect the radials together.
And for the vertical radiator I use ....
4 X 11 inch ( Half Length ) 
2 X 22 inch (Full Length )
and a 4 section

As my old pal  Budd / W3FF says...
Have Fun ... EVERYDAY !!

73 de N4LA














No comments: